Tuesday, April 26, 2011

From Our Forums: Am I dependent or independent?

Ah yes, the ever nagging question of dependency status on the FAFSA. We know it well. Recently one of our financial aid forum users, Ssully, posted this question in regards to that exact topic:
I’m trying to determine whether I would be considered a dependent or independent student in applying for Stafford loans. One of the determining questions asks if I will be working on a master or doctorate program. I have just earned my bachelor’s degree, and I am considering returning to school for either a second bachelor’s or teaching certification.
Since neither of those programs are considered “graduate” or “post-graduate” level, he will need to meet one of the following criteria to be classified as independent:
24 years or older (as of 12/31 of the award’s year)Be marriedHave legal dependents (be a parent or pay more than 50% of another person’s living expenses)Be a veteran of the U.S. Armed ForcesBe an orphan (both biological parents deceased)
View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...